Thursday, March 6, 2014

What's cookin'? - Tomato Tortellini Soup

Oh.... My... Goodness....
This one is a winner!

It was Ash Wednesday so I knew we had to have a meatless meal. I was in the mood for soup (again), but I wanted something.... different - something... new.

I searched my Pinterest board "Soups On!" and came up with tortellini soup. My mother-in-law had given me a recipe for tortellini soup that she just loves. I found that, and compared the two.

One had a cream base, one did not. One used spinach, the other did not. Hmmm... I had some leftover baby spinach in the refrigerator from a meal I cooked the other night.... The creamy soup used sun-dried tomatoes - my husband would love that...

What's a girl to do?

Combine both recipes and come up with your own, that's what!

I'll share the recipe and how I made it. I really think that this soup would also be wonderful with little sausage "meatballs" added. Many of the recipes for tortellini soup that I found called for sausage, so I think that would make for a logical and delicious addition, but you can be the judge of that.

Oh! Before I give you the recipe - did you notice that grilled cheese sandwich perched on the edge of the bowl? That's what I served it with - a grilled cheese sandwich made with Italian bread. I knew that just having soup wouldn't fill my guys up. Dunking it in the soup or breaking it apart to form croutons - either way it's the perfect combination!

Tomato Tortellini Soup

• One package of refrigerated (or frozen) cheese tortellini 9-13 oz.
• Two cans condensed tomato soup
• 2c Chicken broth
• 2c Milk
• 2c Half and half
• 1/2c Chopped sun-dried tomatoes,  packed in olive oil (The kind I used already had Italian spices added)
• 1t Onion powder
• 1t Garlic powder
• 1t Dried basil leaves
• 1/2t Salt
• 1/2c Parmesan cheese
• (Optional) 5 ounces fresh spinach

Directions:
Cook tortellini according to package directions. 

Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. 

Add spinach, cook a few minutes until wilted. 

Drain tortellini and carefully add to soup. 

Stir in cheese. 

Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.

Makes about 8 servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment