Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What's cookin'? - Dessert, dessert, dessert!

Three desserts in one post? Am I crazy?

I have been meaning to talk about these for a couple of weeks now, but always managed to get sidetracked by something else.

Well, it is "Fat Tuesday", after all!

So choose one and have at it!

Chocolate Eclair Cake
This is not my picture. It is a picture that I found online. Mine looked exactly like this, except that when I realized I had to take a picture of it for the blog, it was already in my belly! Hahaha

It was surprisingly easy to make, even though it called for a crust that I had never encountered. Let's just say, now I know how they make creampuffs! It was easy too! Bring them on!

I found the recipe here:

If you want to make this cake I think it is best that you follow this link and visit the site. She does a good job explaining it and has pictures to follow.

I do want to add that I took the easy way out in that I used Cool Whip and Hershey syrup instead of making homemade whipped cream and chocolate fudge sauce.

Yum!
--------
Black Forest Cake
This dessert  is really easy to make! 

The recpie originally called for cupcakes. 
Since I didn't have any cupcake liners on hand I just made it into a 9 x 13 cake.
It all taste the same going down, right?

First, you let your son bake, I mean, you bake a devil's food chocolate cake - I used the boxed kind. Only on special occasions do I make a cake from scratch!

Anyway, just bake the cake like it says on the box. Let it cool completely.

Using a mixer, mix one 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese, 1 c powdered sugar and 1 t vanilla. When that is all blended and smooth, fold in one 8 oz. container of thawed Cool Whip. Spread on top of the cake.

Evenly distribute the contents of one can cherry pie filling over top of cake.
 
We ate it as soon as I did that and it was really good.

But , after being in the refrigerator overnight it was even better! (Don't ask me how I know!)

The original recipe does say to refrigerate until it is ready to be served. That's good advice. But, in my house, as soon as I slapped on those cherries it was down our throats!

Also, because of the cream cheese and Cool Whip in the frosting, be sure to refrigerate any leftovers if there are any!
------
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Ice Cream "Cake"
I have to admit, this was just something that I threw together because I had a craving. I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate! And sometimes... once a month... you just have to have it! You know what I mean, ladies?

I made the crust with a 1 lb. package of Nutter Butter cookies +1/2 stick melted butter. Mix them together and then press, using your fingers, to the bottom of a  greased baking pan. I used a 13 x 9 pan for this cake, but my husband and I both agreed that next time I should use a smaller pan - maybe 8 x 8. That way, the ice cream portion of the cake will be a little bit thicker. We like our ice cream!

On top of the crust I added one half- gallon of softened vanilla ice cream.

Then, I slathered on one 8 oz. container of thawed Cool Whip.

I drizzled chocolate ice cream sauce across the top.

I had a bag of those Reese's mini peanut butter cups in my stash (for emergencies, of course).  This was, by all accounts, considered to be an emergency!

I put those in a Ziploc gallon bag and hit it with a meat mallet to break them into little pieces. This, by the way, was a good way to get out your monthly aggressions too. Picture someone you'd like to hit with the meat mallet (hahaha). See... This is what they call "dessert therapy"!

Sprinkle them on the top and you are done!

Return to freezer long enough for the ice cream to re-set. 

Yeah, you heard me right. You have to return it to the freezer - so put that spoon away! 

Although, now that I think of it... we could just call the recipe Peanut Butter-Chocolate Ice Cream "Soup"! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment