Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What's cookin'? - Sweet Cabbage Haluska

I cook so much Italian food. Sometimes I have to remember my husband's Slovak heritage! He makes awesome halupki (stuffed cabbage rolls) but that's too much work for me! I'll stick to this dish. I can make it several times a year, serving as a side dish alongside pork or kielbasa. You can also serve it as a main dish - it is a wonderful meatless meal!

Sweet Cabbage Haluska
I got the nicest compliment about this last year from my mother-in-law . She was raving about it and said it was "just like I remember from when I was a little  girl"! 

It made me feel so good! But what made her feel good was when I showed her that the recipe I use is from the old Slovak cookbook that she had given to me years ago! She was pleased that I still have it, and that I use it.
Why "mama" is coming out of a treasure chest I'll never know - but one look at this book and you know it is the real deal!

Haluska:

* Cook 8 oz. egg noodles. Drain. Set aside.

* In a large, deep fry pan melt one stick butter.

* Add one chopped onion. Cook until it begins to soften.

* Chop/shred one small head green cabbage. Add to pan.

*Add 1 t. salt, 1 t. sugar. 

* Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft and begins to brown.

* Add egg noodles to cabbage.  Stir. Heat throughout.

* Remove from heat. Add 1/4 - 1/2 c cottage cheese. Stir until distributed and most cheese is melted.

(Original recipe says that the cottage cheese is optional and that you can add sauerkraut  instead of cottage cheese)

Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment