Sweet Cabbage Haluska
I got the nicest compliment about this last year from my mother-in-law . She was raving about it and said it was "just like I remember from when I was a little girl"!
It made me feel so good! But what made her feel good was when I showed her that the recipe I use is from the old Slovak cookbook that she had given to me years ago! She was pleased that I still have it, and that I use it.
* Cook 8 oz. egg noodles. Drain. Set aside.
* In a large, deep fry pan melt one stick butter.
* Add one chopped onion. Cook until it begins to soften.
* Chop/shred one small head green cabbage. Add to pan.
*Add 1 t. salt, 1 t. sugar.
* Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft and begins to brown.
* Add egg noodles to cabbage. Stir. Heat throughout.
* Remove from heat. Add 1/4 - 1/2 c cottage cheese. Stir until distributed and most cheese is melted.
(Original recipe says that the cottage cheese is optional and that you can add sauerkraut instead of cottage cheese)