Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Another card in a box!

My mom is celebrating her 80th birthday!

I knew that I needed a very special card for this very special occasion.

Since I have been playing around with the "card in a box" I knew that one was what I was going to make for her. 

Browsing many samples online, I came across a beautiful one that I knew I had to CASE. Here is mine:

I love the colors of that Designer Series Paper - Afternoon Picnic

Plus, my mom loves roses, so Stipple Blossoms was the best choice of stamp set to use for her.
The colors used for stamping the flowers are: So Saffron and Crushed Curry, Wisteria Wonder and Elegant Eggplant, and Pear Pizzazz for the leaves. I "stamped off" first to get a lighter color ink on the solid, larger part of the leaf.

also used the Bring on the Cake set for the greeting, and Papillion Potpourri.
-----
 I used a Sizzliits alphabet set for the numbers and cut them out with my Big Shot. The Bitty Butterfly and the Elegant Butterfly punches coordinate with images from the Papillion Potpourri set, so I didn't have to worry about cutting those out.

I used the directions found here:
http://www.serenestamper.com/2014/01/card-in-box

I followed her directions for making a 6-inch card. I do like her instructions because she also offers directions on how to make a smaller card - one that will fit in a medium (or, A-2) envelope- like I posted previously. 

I used a different design from the same Designer Series Paper pack to make the matching envelope. I used the Envelope Punchboard to do this - it's so easy! (As you can see, this picture was taken in the car because I forgot to photograph it before I delivered it!) Hahaha
The card itself is easy, but a little time consuming. My tip is that you may want to either punch your elements out or use framelits to make the process a little faster; cutting each piece is what took me a while.

I used my Tombow glue for this project. 
 It offers an incredible bond but also, because it is a liquid glue, it allowed me a little time to reposition things if need be, while it was still wet.  This would not have been possible with Sticky Strip because as we all know, once you put a piece down with that, it's there to stay!

I have stamp clubs this week and next. I am going to walk them through the basics of the "card in a box", but offer them a challenge to finish it. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Or, YOU, for that matter!

Try this fun fold and email me a picture! I can share your card on the blog for all to see and to be inspired by your creativity.

Have fun!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh....this is so beautiful and what a special card for your mom! I've seen many of these on Pinterest...but for some reason they intimidate me. I guess it's because it seems like lots of math is involved! :-). Anyway, you have inspired me to try it...thank you! Oxoxox. Kelly. p.s. Did I tell you that my family LOVED the artichoke, sausage, potato stew!!! So yummy! But the ricotta cheese/ice cream was not a hit. I tried a healthy version with fat free frozen vanilla bean yogurt and low fat ricotta cheese. I think that was the problem!! Oh we'll..some things just call for all the calories and fat! :-).

    ReplyDelete