Monday, February 10, 2014

Healthy eating - More Nutribullet!

My post on the Nutribullet recipes has been the most popular so far! People have emailed that they're going to buy one - they just want more, more, more! I am not a spokesperson for the product - I just happen to love mine! So as I discover new "blasts" that I like, I will continue to share them!

I am still drinking them out throughout the day, so I have chosen three more recipes for you to try. I find recipes on Pinterest and the Nutribullet website. I base it on what I have on hand; what's in the fridge.

For example, two of these drinks feature grapes, because that's what we had. If you are making the smoothies, I urge you to do the same. By doing so, you don't have to make a special trip to buy ingredients for a particular drink (like papaya!) - just use what you have. 

Don't forget to be creative and come up with your own combinations! 

My husband is really good at that. Sometimes he throws Greek yogurt in or uses almond milk instead of water. They are really tasty, but for me, I usually stick to just adding water because I don't want the extra calories.

Here are three drinks that I have been enjoying:
Cantaloupe, spinach and grapes

I found this picture on the Internet, so it shows a few extra ingredients that I don't use (almond  milk and coconut oil). 
• Two handfuls spinach
•1/4-1/2 Cantaloupe, with seeds, but no rind 
• 15-20 Grapes with seeds
•  2 T flax seeds for extra fiber and omega-3's. (Optional)
• Filtered water to the max line (about 1c); add more if too thick 

Notes: The more fruit the better on this one; maybe cut down on the spinach.
Grape seeds and cantaloupe seeds are good for you! Include them!

Banana, grape,  and spinach smoothie with Chia seeds

I adapted this recipe from one that I found on the Internet when I was searching for smoothie recipes that contained grapes (again, because we had them). It had called for two bananas, 1c of orange juice, and honey. I cut it down to just one banana, and a whole orange instead of orange juice.   It also called for honey. I find that I do not need to add honey or Stevia (or any sweeter) to my smoothies.

• 2 handfuls spinach
• 15-20 grapes with seeds
• 1 banana
• 1 orange, peeled 
• 2T Chia seeds
• Filtered water to max line (about 1c) add more if too thick

This one doesn't have a name - it's my own creation- I was trying to use a beet! There were plenty of recipes out there that used beet, I just didn't have all of the other ingredients, so I made my own.

This is what I came up - with isn't it pretty? Okay, so I just named it - Pretty! The important thing is, it tasted as good as it looked!

• 1 Apple, cored  (You can't put apple seeds in the Nutribullet! When cut up they release cyanide! Who knew?)
• 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks (I just used about 10 baby carrots, cut in half)
• 1 medium beet, cut into chunks
• Handful of spinach
• 1 orange, peeled
• Filtered water to the max line (about 1c)  add more if too thick

I usually follow recipes, but every now and again I "wing it". I have had lots of yummy smoothies and a few stinkers! 

Notes: 
•Add frozen fruit to any smoothie if you prefer it cold
•sweetener or almond milk optional.
• Rind on citrus fruits (lemon, limes, oranges, grapefruits, etc.) are often included, but I find too many in one drink makes it bitter.
Some seeds are good for you, others are bad! Check out this website before making your blast:
http://nutribulletblog.com/sipping-seeds-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Remember: if you are using a blender to make smoothies, be sure that it can handle tough foods such as carrots and nuts. A food processor might be better!

If you are having trouble eating all the recommended fruits and vegetables, "blast" them!

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment