Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What's cooking? - Sausage and Artichoke Stew

I have been stamping a lot lately and in fact, I'm getting ready for my stamp clubs. I promise to post lots in the next week!

Of course cooking is something I do on a daily basis so I have lots to post for that!

I want to share with you another recipe from my Quick From Scratch Italian  cookbook that I use often. 



I made this the other night.  My oldest son loves this, So I make it especially with him in mind. We call it sausage and artichoke stew. In the cookbook it's called "sausages, potatoes and artichoke hearts in tomato  broth". That's too long to say! 

This is especially good on a cold, winter's night. Make sure you have some good, crusty Italian bread to soak up the broth that's left in the bowl! 

Sausage and artichoke stew
*olive oil (About 2 T)
*1 1/2 lbs. mild Italian sausages (can   substitute hot if you like it spicy!)
*3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
*About 5 red-skin potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
*1/2 t dried thyme
*1/3 c white cooking wine
*1 1/4 cups chicken broth
*1 c canned crushed tomatoes
*One 14 ounce canned artichoke hearts- drained, rinsed and halved
*6 T chopped fresh parsley
*1/2 t salt
*1/2 t fresh ground black black pepper

In a large pot, Heat oil over moderately high heat.

Add sausages and brown well (this takes about 10 minutes)

Remove sausages from pot and drain off all but 1 T of fat.

Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the garlic, potatoes and thyme . Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are lightly browned (about five minutes). Add the wine and boil until it's reduced to about 3 T (this will take only 2 to 3 minutes).

Stir in the broth, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, 4 T of the parsley, the salt, & the sausages. 

Simmer and cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes).

Before serving, add the remaining 2 T of parsley and the black pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment