Friday, January 17, 2014

Healthy eating - Mmmm...

 I told you before that I am trying to eat better. I really watch what I have during the day and then I cook a normal dinner for the four of us. Sometimes that is higher in fat or contains meat because my boys are not ready to go completely "lean". They are teenagers and they're not done growing yet. They are both thin but my oldest one especially is trying to have more protein in his diet to bulk up a little with muscles. Sometimes I can fool them - like the cheesy rice we had the other night (see recipe below). Other times, I can't quite pull the wool over their eyes, like the time I substituted tofu for chicken in a meal that we have often. It was quite humorous watching them chew the "chicken" and realize it was a different texture - not saying anything,  afraid of hurting my feelings.

The two recipes I want to share with you today are a part of my "watch what I eat diet". They both contain quinoa, which is recognized as a" super"food. Is actually a seed, not a grain, and it's very high in fiber and protein. I have cooked it several times. Some recipes have been great and others have been not so good!

Here are two that I have tried recently and I think they are super! 

 Garlic rice /quinoa With creamy cauliflower sauce
(That's my mom's recipe country ribs on the plate with it ! Major Yum !)

I found the recipe on Pinterest and it is a brown rice dish made with a creamy cauliflower sauce. I have never had anything with cauliflower sauce but I keep seeing recipes, so I thought it was time to give it a try.

I changed the recipe up just a little by taking some shortcuts. I used this brown rice /quinoa packet that I got at Costco, instead of using all brown rice.


 Following the recipe for the sauce I ended up using three packets of the rice /quinoa mixture! Holy smokes! The original recipe calls for, I think, only  a cup and a half of brown rice. It's all good, though! Yes, I had leftovers but it was so good that I ate it for lunch and so did my husband!

Here's the link to the original recipe:
http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-garlic-rice


Because my packet already was flavored with garlic I skipped the part of making the butter and garlic sauté. So basically I made the cauliflower sauce as directed, made the rice /quinoa packets in the microwave (which was super easy), stirred it together, then added some cheese at the end.

That site also has another link arecipe for   Alfredo sauce made with cauliflower. We enjoyed what we ate so much that I think I might have to try that one too! 
_________
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl - From Hungry Girl (this recipe makes one serving)




In a large sauce pan combine:
1/4 c Quinoa
1 Stevia packet
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 c Unsweetened almond milk
1/3 c Water
dash Salt

Cook over moderate heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 12 to 14 minutes until most of liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked, stirring occasionally. ( When quinoa is fully cooked you'll see these little string- like things from the seeds!)

I added chopped strawberries, blueberries and bananas.

Super yummy change- up to oatmeal!


1 comment:

  1. OMG...these sound scrumptious and I can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete