Saturday, May 24, 2014

What's cookin'? - Spicy Fish Taco Bowls

I hate fish.

I really do.
I mean, I love shellfish clams, crab, lobster...

But regular fish is not my friend.

I know every health book/website/doctor tells you to eat more fish.

 I just can't do it.

In fact, when I do buy it (because I know it's better for us) it's always the last thing I resort to. It gets pushed aside and looked over in the freezer all the time. When it's the last thing available, I always find some reason to get out of cooking dinner! ("Darn! I forgot we had to eat...! Let's order a pizza instead!")

I mean, my family likes it. It's just me. I usually have the smallest piece available when I do cook it, and even then I have to close my eyes and just swallow.

I have prepared many different types of fish many different ways... flounder, sole, whiting, tuna steaks, haddock... Baked, broiled, fried, aluminum-packet-on-the-grill... Yuk, yuk and more yuk!

I'll have to tell you, I finally found something that makes fish palatable (for me, anyway!).

Cover the fish taste - I found a winner!

Spicy fish taco bowls
It's actually healthy and delicious!
Brown rice, corn, black beans, red bell peppers, avocados, and tilapia .

INGREDIENTS
4 tilapia fillets
2T olive oil
1T cumin
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1t chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 avocado, cut in small pieces
1 lemon
2c cooked brown rice

DIRECTIONS
• In a small bowl mix cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder. Rub generously on both sides of tilapia fillets.

• Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add fish to the skillet, cook for about three minutes on each side. (You want to make sure it gets almost blackened, and that the fish is cooked through - inside it should be white.)

• Remove fish from skillet and shred, using two forks.

• In the same skillet add: garlic, green onions, corn, and red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring a few times (you want the corn to start browning, looking like it is roasted)

• Add the beans and heat through.
(Isn't it pretty?)

• To serve: layer rice, corn/bean mixture, fish, avocados and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice.

A little fresh cilantro would be great as well!

Yaaa! A fish dish I finally enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment