Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Graduation board

So, I haven't posted in a while....
Here's why:
I've been busy in my stamp room, but not stamping !

My oldest son just graduated from high school last night!

The "after-grad party committee" asked that each family create a board for their senior son or daughter.

It took a while just to go through pictures (with the extra time for reminiscing!). In the long run, I chose way too many pictures that could ever fit on that board!

I weeded them out as I began to glue things to the board. Some I "fussy cut" and added with Dimensionals. When all the pictures were in place, I covered awkward "intersections" of pictures with stickers and such I had in my scrapbook "stash".

Thank goodness they are finally used!

I like the top the most. See the baby head with the word bubbles coming out of it, in the upper left-hand corner of this pic (it's actually the center of the board)?
These are the only two stamps that I used on the whole board. They are from the Just Sayin' stamp set, embossed in at Tempting Turquoise embossing powder, and cut out with the matching Word Bubble framelits.
 I designed the board like a clock....

Pictures on the right-hand side show him as a baby, toddler, and in elementary school. That's why, to the right of the baby, there is a word bubble that ask,s "You're how old?"

Down at the bottom I have some pictures of the middle school years, junior high, and  I finish the board with high school and his senior picture.
See how it flows like time on a clock?
No?
Work with me, people!

Then, to the left of the baby, he finishes with "woo hoo!" in the word bubble to show his excitement that he made it through (or maybe that was just my excitement!)

In the middle of the board is a piece of card stock that I printed out with some quotes from a book that I bought him for graduation. 

The book is Oh, The Places You Will Go! by Dr. Seuss. It's a very appropriate book to give a newborn baby or graduate. 
This description from Amazon.com sold me:

"A perennial favorite, Dr. Seuss’s wonderfully wise graduation speech is the perfect send-off for children starting out in the world, be they nursery school, high school, or college grads! From soaring to high heights and seeing great sights to being left in a Lurch on a prickle-ly perch, Dr. Seuss addresses life’s ups and downs with his trademark humorous verse and illustrations, while encouraging readers to find the success that lies within. In a starred review, Booklist notes: “Seuss’s message is simple but never sappy: life may be a ‘Great Balancing Act,’ but through it all ‘There’s fun to be done.’”

What made this gift even more special was that I had asked all his teachers that he had in high school to sign it. It meant so much to him to read their fond words of encouragement.

They are gifts, I hope, that he will treasure  for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment