Monday, May 19, 2014

What's cookin'? - Asian Noodle Dinner

I recently found a recipe that sounded sooo good- I knew that I had to try it! It was for Asian Noodles with Snow Peas and Mushrooms.

I knew that if I served this as a meatless meal, as it was intended, my boys would not be happy! 

Occasionally trying to prepare meatless meals in an effort to be healthier, I'm often reminded of the old Wendy's television commercial:
(Where's the beef?) .... except that that's my two growing teenage boys saying that!

So, I changed it up a bit and added beef. My thought was that beef would be the perfect compliment to the mushrooms and the brown sauce.
I was right! (thank goodness!) We loved it! I think you could just as easily add chicken or pork, though.

This recipe was a homerun!

In addition to adding beef, I also doubled up on the sauce.
If you prefer a meatless meal, follow the link above to the original recipe. Or, you can follow my version with added meat and double the sauce.

Whatever you do, do not substitute a different kind of oil for the sesame oil. It's a must! It adds a nutty, Asian flavor to the meal. You can find it in the Asian food section of your supermarket.
Ingredients:
One box fettuccine
Snow peas (about 40), cut in half
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 green onions, sliced 
2T olive oil
Thin-cut beef (I used 1 lb. sirloin, but flank steak would be good too!)
2T sesame oil
1T sesame seeds
1/2c soy sauce
1/2c honey
2t hot sauce
1/2c chicken broth
2T cornstarch
2T water

* In a small bowl combine soy sauce, chicken broth, honey and hot sauce. Stir, set aside.

* In a medium sauce pot bring 1c water to a low, rolling boil. Add snow peas and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain, and set aside.

* Cook fettuccine in a large pot of boiling water according to directions on box.

* (While waiting for pasta water to boil) slice beef into thin strips. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add beef and brown over medium-high heat.

* Add sesame oil to beef and heat. Add green onions, sesame seeds and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms soften and beef is cooked through (about five minutes).

* Stir in brown sauce. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes, until heated through.

* Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into brown sauce to thicken. Heat through (about one minute).

* Drain pasta. Toss with mushroom/beef sauce and peas. Serve.

It was delicious, not to mention easy and fast to make!

 I really think that if you just take 10 minutes time to slice the beef and veggies and/or mix the sauce ahead of time, it just makes preparation easier.

My final thoughts on this dish... after tasting this, don't you think that some crushed peanuts would taste great sprinkled on top? Very Thai!

No comments:

Post a Comment