Monday, June 23, 2014

What's cookin'? - Grilled Steaks with Chimichurri Salsa


Summertime means grilling at our house!

My husband likes to eat steak, so at least once a week we have it on the grill.

Sometimes we just eat them plain with good ol' A-1.

Other times I dress it up!

In an earlier post I mentioned a "blue cheese and onion sauce" that you can serve with steaks:
Recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman!

Next week I'm going to try "rosemary-garlic butter" on my steak. I'll let you know how that turns out and share the recipe! Recipe courtesy of: http://www.vintagekitchennotes.com/2013/09/rosemary-garlic-butter-steak-tips-for.html?m=1
Last night it was all about chimichurri! (or, has my husband refers to it "chimichanga."..)

Chimichurri salsa originated in Argentina. It is a green-herb sauce served with meat, poultry and fish or used as a dipping sauce. 
This picture doesn't do it justice! It is so flavorful and keeps the meat moist and tender when you put it on top of a cooked steak!

We have had chimichurri in the past. I followed the recipe for "chimichurri steak salad" from one of my Pampered Chef cookbooks. 

This recipe is mostly made with parsley. I threw in a little cilantro as well. Some chimichurri recipes are made solely with cilantro... Some have oregano or jalapeno peppers in them. I guess you can just make it the way you prefer.

I love cooking with fresh herbs!

Summertime, to me, means planting lots of herbs outside on the deck, where I can get to them easily for every night's meal.
(This pot has parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and basil. As you can see, it still has more room to grow, but summer has just begun! - I can't wait to make pesto after I get more basil!)

(If you want an easy herb to grow, try mint! Grows like a weed! Here my sweet mint, peppermint, and chocolate mint are taking over the lavender and marigold that I planted! Just to give you indication of how fast they grow, these were planted at the same time as the other herbs!)

Yikes! I'm going to have to throw a Mojito party!

Making chimichurri is just one way to use the parsley and cilantro (in another pot) that I have.

Whether you serve this salsa on top of steak alone, a steak salad, chicken, or fish - you're going to love it! I guarantee it! The fresh flavors just make your meat come alive!

I just throw mine all in a food processor because it's easier than chopping and mixing by hand.

Here's what you need:

• 1 cup fresh parsley
• handful of fresh cilantro
• 1-2 cloves garlic
• 1/4c olive oil
• 2T red wine vinegar
• 1/4t ground cayenne pepper
• Salt to taste, about 1/2t

Blend it up and spoon over your steak. Let sit 5-10 minutes so it can absorb the flavor.

Refrigerate unused portion in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to two weeks!
(Note that leftover graduation paper plates! Fancy dinnerware!)




No comments:

Post a Comment