Sunday, January 25, 2015

What's cookin'? - Stuffed Pepper soup!


Yesterday we got about 4 inches of snow here where I live in Connecticut.

This Tuesday the weather forecast is for  blizzard-like conditions!

Did I ever mention to you that I hate winter?

HATE IT!!

That's right! All capital letters!

I can only hope that my husband makes good on his promise of moving somewhere warmer when he retires (at least for half of the year)!

Those of you who read this blog regularly know that when it's cold, I make soup!

Nothing warms me up more then sitting by our woodstove with a nice, warm bowl of soup.

In fact, it doesn't even have to snow for me to make it. The temperature just has to drop a little below 40 degrees!

I've been making so much soup lately that my oldest son asked me, "Mom, what's up with all the soup lately?"

My response was simply, "It's cold."

DUH! 

Doesn't everybody resort to making soup when it's cold?


A little background info before sharing the recipe .... As most of you know, I am a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, and have been, for going on 18 years!

We used to sell 6 x 6 scrapbooks.
For several years I hosted a recipe "swap" a couple of times during the year, where you would choose one recipe to share make a 6x6 scrapbook page of that recipe.  You would make multiples of the page, so that everyone would receive one.

When the due date arrived, you were invited to bring your cooked creation to share as well as your pages to swap.

Here are a few examples:

I have gathered tons of great recipes over the years - about four scrapbooks worth! 

Today I share with you a recipe  that I have used over and over again.

It was given to me by my friend Marie S., and it is the only one I ever consult for making stuffed pepper soup. It's awesome!

Stuffed Pepper Soup


This is a HUGE batch that feeds 4 adults with plenty of leftovers.

•2 pounds ground beef
•1 large onion chopped
•4-5 bell peppers (I only used 3 the other day) any color (we usually
usually use green and red) chopped
•1 large can diced tomatoes (I used whole tomatoes and chopped them myself)
•1 carton beef broth
•3-4 cans of tomato soup
•1 small can/jar of tomato sauce (or what ever you have on hand)....OR
just add more tomato soup
•4 Tablespoons brown sugar
•Water (I usually just eyeball it)
•Salt & Pepper to taste
•Uncooked White Rice (3/4 cup or more, again just eyeball it)

-Brown and drain the ground beef. 
-Add onions and peppers. Cook until tender.
(Doesn't this look so colorful and pretty?)

 -Add tomato soup, tomato sauce (or more tomato soup), tomatoes,
beef broth and water. Bring to a boil.

 -Add brown sugar and rice. 

-Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. You may need to add more
broth or water depending on thickness.

***This is really a forgiving recipe. You can add more or less of anything and end up with the same result***

YUM!!!!

Thank you, Marie! This is a wonderful soup!




No comments:

Post a Comment