Saturday, January 31, 2015

Better assembly and storage tips for clear-mount stamps

This topic came up recently at a stamp club meeting. My friend Lisa B. was excitedly sharing what she had learned from a few Internet videos about nifty new ways to store stamps. I had been doing these for a while, but to see everybody's interested reaction when she told them, made me realize that I had forgotten to share my knowledge with the group. 

Whoops. My bad....

At the risk of everyone continuing to store stamps the old way, I'd better share with you now!

Of course I'm being sarcastic.

These methods really are making my life so much easier though, and I do want you to learn!

For today's post: clear-mount stamps

I taughts everyone how to mount clear stamps as it was first introduced to me by Stampin' Up! when the company first started to sell them. 

Once put together, the clear-mount stamps just got thrown in to the thin DVD case that they came in (at least that's how I did it!) - they easily fell out if the case opened.

NOT ANYMORE

When our clear-mount stamps were still new (and I had made a video about them), the common method for mounting them was this: pop out all the rubber stamp images and peel the stickers off of the matching labels (but leave them on the sticker sheet). Then, you were to stick the stamp facedown onto that sticker and lift up. The sticker would be applied.  BUT NOT ALWAYS PERFECTLY PLACED. 

When you completed putting the whole set together you just tossed them into the case, throwing all the excess rubber away.

HERE IS THE NEW AND IMPROVED WAY: (!)

Pop out all rubber stamp pieces (but do not throw away the excess rubber!) 


Do the same  with all of the stickers/labels (but do not peel them)...

Next, peel the backing off of the rubber stamp (it will not be sticky like our wood-mount stamps, as they use static cling to stick to the blocks, not adhesive!)

You also want to take one of the matching stickers and peel only half of the backing off...
Stick the label to the coordinating stamp. Since you left half of the backing on, you should be able to carefully place the sticky part exactly where you want it!
If you are satisfied with that placement, peel the other half of the backing away...

Continue to do this to all of the stamps.

Now you are ready to store them!

Take the excess rubber piece/frame and peel the backing off. Again, this will not be sticky, BUT  will stick to the inside of the plastic DVD case if you just give it a little press! 
You are now ready to put all those stamps back in their little "frame"! Remember, that the labels face the plastic case - otherwise they won't fit in their cut-out shapes!
Ready at a moments notice!
... And, I can easily see if a stamp set is  incomplete!

I do have many clear-mount sets on my shelf that are just "floating" inside plastic cases. I unfortunately didn't know about the storage method until last summer.  At least it always says on the outside of the box how many stamps are part of that set, so I know if they're all there or not.

But I like this way better!


Plus I wasn't always able to place my stamps directly on the sticker. This way, I only do one half at a time and I have much better luck!

Try it with all your newcClear stamps!

Tomorrow I will show you a new and improved for storing our see-through (and ultra sticky) photopolymer stamps! They are growing in popularity, so you'll want to be sure to read all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment