Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What's cookin'? - Loaded Baked Potato Casserole

What can I say about this?



Hmmm... SO WORTH THE EXTRA CALORIES!

This was a different side dish for the steaks we were having. I highly recommend this if you are enjoying a steak dinner and are tired of the usual baked potato! If you're going to load it with all that fattening goodness anyway, you might as well make a whole bunch of it. 

"Go big or go home", I say!



I found this recipe here:

I call it "loaded baked potato casserole" because it looks like a "loaded baked potato" more than "twice baked potatoes". Do you know what I mean? "twice baked potatoes" are usually mashed and then rebaked?

That's just me being fussy - you call it whatever you want!

Loaded Baked Potato Casserole

•4-5 large russet potatoes
- clean potatoes
- rub skin with olive oil
- rub coarse sea salt over outside skin
- bake in 400° oven about 45 minutes until can be easily pierced with a fork- flip halfway through baking time 

** I baked my potatoes the old-fashioned way - in an oven. I usually use the microwave for this! But, by putting them in the oven, I got a nice, crispy skin. Since these potatoes won't be peeled before adding them to the casserole, I found this to be essential!

- Remove potatoes from oven. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes. REDUCE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 350°

-In the meantime, cook 3/4 lb. bacon. Drain grease by placing the bacon on paper towels. When cooled, crumble.

-Chop 5 to 6 green onions.

-(Set aside about 2 T onion, 2 T bacon and 1/3 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese for topping)

-In a large bowl, mix together: 
•3/4c mayonnaise
•1/2c sour cream
•Chopped green onions
•Bacon
•Remaining shredded cheddar cheese

-Cut potatoes into chunks, leaving skin on. (it's perfectly natural for them to fall off or even for the potatoes to fall apart somewhat!)

-Add potatoes to mixture, pour into a 13 x 9" pan.



-Bake covered on 350° for one half hour.
-Remove cover during last 10 minutes.
-Sprinkle top with remaining cheese, onion, and bacon before serving


Run a lap!




No comments:

Post a Comment