Monday, February 2, 2015

What's Cookin'? - Cannoli Cake!

So, this happened today....

Can I just say, "YUM!!!"?

It snowed all day today.
Of course I made soup - an Italian soup that I grew up with called "Manaste". 


It's an odd concoction of ingredients (country ribs, pepperoni, escarole, white beans, tomatoes) and I love this soup.

Before my youngest son tried it (and liked it!), he named it "mah-nasty".

Funny, but unfair!

He later retracted that comment....

My mom used to make this soup a couple of times each year. I haven't made this soup in years! I was due. Today was the day.

Of course, we had to have an "Italian" dessert as well!

I found this Cannoli Poke Cake here:
http://lemon-sugar.com/?s=Cannoli+cake

I followed her recipe with a few variations:

-I did the substitutions "to make a boxed cake better", and 
- in the end I added some coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed milk.

This was a wonderful cake! We all enjoyed it! The frosting is divine- tastes just like cannoli filling!

If you prefer a cake with a sweet, buttercream frosting - this it is not the cake that you're looking for.

But, believe me when I say you won't be sorry for making this one!

Cannoli Poke Cake

• boxed white cake mix plus ingredients to make cake as directed on box (or follow my instructions below to "make any boxed cake better")
--------
•1 1/2 c ricotta cheese
•1 container (8 ounces) marscapone cheese
• 1t vanilla
• 1c powdered sugar (10x/confectioner's)
• 1/2t cinnamon
• 2 cans sweetened condensed milk (I used 1 can and 1/2 cup of coconut milk)
• 1/2c(?) mini chocolate chips

Bake white cake as directed. (Here is where I followed the directions I found on the Internet to "make any boxed cake better": I added one additional egg than called for on the box - in this case it was one additional egg white, I substituted an equal amount of milk for water, and I substituted an equal amount of softened butter instead of using the oil that it called for on the box)


When the cake, is done remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

When cake is cool, poke holes using a straw or end of a wooden spoon all over the cake about 1 inch away from each other.


Pour one whole can of sweetened condensed milk over cake, allowing milk to fill in holes.



Cover and chill 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



Prepare frosting:
Using a mixer with whip attachment, blend together ricotta cheese, marscapone cheese and vanilla.

Add in one cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

Turn to high-speed ,beat in 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (you will not use the whole second can; this is where I substituted the 1/2 cup coconut milk, simply because I did not have a second can of the SCM!)

Frost cake (all of the sweetened condensed milk that you poured on initially should now have seeped into the cake).

Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. (Really? Who measures chocolate chips in this situation? Just sprinkle on as many as you want, I say!)



Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

For the whole "cannoli experience", sprinkle each piece with powdered sugar just before serving.


Try not to eat the whole cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment