Friday, August 15, 2014

August stamp club - Clear Block Rainbow


At August Stamp Club we were trying a new technique - new to us, anyway!

We used our Stampin' Write markers to color on a clear block. Then we spritzed the block a few times with water before pressing down on a piece of card stock.

The result was a pretty watercolored rainbow effect!

The card we made (above) is almost an the exact CASE of one done by a demonstrator named Karen Titus. I watched the video she had made and, since time was running out, I copied the colors and the stamped image exactly (World of Dreams stamps; Colors: Tempting Turquoise, Island Indigo, Perfect Plum, Tangerine Tango, Real Red) I did add a few of my own changes though, so it is not identical.

Here is a video that I made showing how to do this simple technique:

Clear block rainbow



Here is that finished card:

Again, the colors used on the clear block were: Tempting Turquoise, Soft Sky, Smoky Slate, Crumb Cake, and Baked Brown Sugar.

I got the color combination from my Pinterest "Color Combos" board. I just looked at the colors and decided which Stampin' Up! colors they resembled the most. These colors reminded me of a bird's nest filled with pretty, blue robin's eggs- an appropriate choice for this card, don't you think?

After I stamped the focal point all of my other decisions were made.

I used the Window Frames framelits to cut it out,

 I layered it on a piece of Basic Black card stock cut out with the Squares Collection framelits. Then, I layered them both on a larger Window Frame cut out of tempting turquoise.

The piercing holes were added using the guides from the Festive Paper Piercing pack.



The card base is Soft Sky with a layer of Baked Brown Sugar card stock, which was run through the Big Shot using the Woodgrain embossing folder.


Final detaiss were added with lace ribbon, a piece of DSP, some Soft Suede card stock, a couple of black Candy Dots, a Very Vintage button, tied with some linen thread.

Just to show you that you can use another size block, here is another one that I made with Block I:

The color combination this time came from the new Color Coach, since I was using a card base of the new InColor Blackberry Bliss. 


The colors are Old Olive, Soft Sky and Blackberry Bliss. The image is from Summer Silohuettes. I embossed the dandelion tops with a mixture of Iridescent Ice and White emboss powders.

Note to self: decide that you want piercing before you finish the card!(Occasions Piercing Pack)

...Guess I will have to cut this apart and layer the front. Oh well! it's not the first time and certainly not the last time that I have made a "boo-boo"!

You may notice some very faint shimmery stars on the background of this card... I was playing with my new star decorative mask and some Smooch Sprintz spray.


This technique definitely deserves to be played with a little more!

I can envision it in fall colors as well as for a Christmas background - or even blues for snowflakes!

Oh! If only there were more hours in a day...

No comments:

Post a Comment