Monday, April 7, 2014

What's cookin'? - Cuban sandwiches

I promised that I would tell you how they turned out...

The other night I made a Chipotle-honey-lime pork roast:
It was mentioned in a post dated April 3, if you would like that recipe.

We had some left over meat so I had planned  ahead to make traditional Cuban sandwiches. Now mind you, I didn't know what a traditional Cuban sandwich was until I read the post for the pork, above. The website that I had visited mentioned that they used the leftover pork in various recipes, including the Cuban sandwich.

Of course I was curious, so I scoured the Internet. 

What is a Cuban sandwich?

A traditional Cuban sandwich is a variation of a grilled ham and cheese. It has roast pork (the essential ingredient!), ham, Swiss, pickles, yellow mustard, and (sometimes) salami. It is on a traditional Cuban bread (similar to a French baguette or Italian bread) that has been grilled and pressed flat.

I decided to give it a whirl. The closest thing I could find to the bread I wanted were the "tortas" that they sell at Costco. They are crusty yet somewhat flat.

I layered the required ingredients and buttered both sides of the torta. I grilled it in a pan, pressing down much as I could.

The result?
A man-pleasing sandwich!

Important ,because I live with three guys!

Seriously, utter deliciousness!

I will surely will make this again when I make a pork roast or pulled pork! It's a great use of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment